When we had this for dinner the first time we couldn’t stop talking about it afterwards. Every half an hour or so one us would say “mmm.. supper was good.” Even Max would not stop eating it until every last bit was gone. I was a little disappointed that there were no leftovers because I was craving it again the next day (we halved the recipe). It’s a super quick meal to throw together on a weeknight and the flavours are outstanding.
Couscous has been a fairly new addition to our family’s table. We’ve only started eating it in the last year or so and I have no idea why. It’s so quick to prepare for a side or main and the pasta soaks up all the delicious flavours of whatever you cook it in. Traditional Paella (pronounced pah-e-yah) is made with rice but making it with couscous instead speeds up the cooking time considerably and is just a fun change from the norm.
This meal has a lot going for it. Not only does it take less than thirty minutes to throw together but it’s also a one pot dinner and fairly healthy too. Plus, I love anything that gives me the excuse to eat shrimp!
Do you eat couscous? What are your favorite ways to enjoy it?
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3.5 cups chicken or vegetable broth (2-14.5 oz cans)
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound large shrimp, uncooked
- 2 cups couscous
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- sliced almonds, to garnish
- fresh parsley, to garnish (optional)
- In a large nonstick skillet saute red pepper in a small amount of oil until softened. Add onions and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in broth and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Add shrimp and cook for 2-3 minutes, just until shrimp turn pink.
- Making sure broth is at a simmer, stir in couscous, peas and butter. Remove from the heat. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Sprinkle with almonds and parsley to serve.
Adapted from Light & Tasty.