For the longest time my quick, go-to Chicken Pot Pie recipe involved canned cream of chicken soup and a homemade biscuit topping. I’m *trying* to stay away from processed foods and to feed my family more naturally, so I came up with this recipe. Which, in my mind, tastes way better then the original anyways.
I simplified it with an even easier biscuit topping, using the homemade bisquick mix that I always keep on hand in my fridge. The cheesy sauce is such a breeze to make that it honestly hardly takes any longer then throwing in a can of soup, and the yummy taste and healthful benefits more then make up for it. The added cheese in the crust really puts this over the top for me, making it that much more hearty and comforting. And, the way the cheese caramelizes in the crust while it’s baking…mmm.. it’s enough to fill your dreams.
This would be a perfect way to use up any Thanksgiving leftovers whether that be turkey, ham or vegetables. It’s a very versatile recipe and can be ready from start to finish in 40 minutes or less.
How are you going to be using up those Thanksgiving leftovers?
Quick & Cheesy Chicken Pot Pie
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken (or turkey, or ham)
- 2 cups leftover, fresh or frozen vegetables
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1 cup biscuit mix (homemade biscuit mix)
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- 1/3 cup milk
- Place meat and vegetables in a 9 inch round or 8×8 square baking dish.
- Make the sauce: Melt butter over medium heat, add flour and cook 1 minute to take out the raw flavour. Slowly add chicken broth, whisking constantly to avoid lumps. Bring to a simmer, whisking occasionally. Remove from heat, add salt and pepper to taste and stir in cheese until melted. Pour over meat and vegetables. Mix well.
- Biscuit topping: Stir together all ingredients with a fork until even moistened. Spread thinly over mixture in casserole dish. (Don’t worry if there are gaps, it does not need to be perfectly covered and it will fill out more as it bakes.)
- Bake at 400ºF for 25 minutes or until topping is golden and filling is bubbly.
Makes: 4 servings
*if using fresh chicken, simply chop 2 chicken breasts into bite size pieces and saute until cooked through.