Shake’n Bake used to be pretty much the only way I enjoyed eating chicken until I learned how to pan fry properly. I still crave that crunchy coating though and have always loved the fact that you can get a crunchy skin without any actual skin. It’s also a great alternative for when I’m wanting to use the oven instead of my stove top.
I’ve tried many recipes for homemade coating mix and none of them lived up to my expectations. Most of them were soggy or would become soggy once sitting out of the oven for a bit. This is the first recipe to live up to my expectations. It makes for a quick meal when I’m running out of time. There’s nothing easier then tossing some chicken in the coating mix, throwing it in the oven and forgetting about it while you prepare some side dishes.
We enjoy this Shake’n Bake chicken in many ways. On it’s own, sliced and served on top of salads, sandwiched between burger buns, as chicken fingers/nuggets and in crispy chicken tacos.
This recipe makes enough for approximately 8 meals, using 1 pound of chicken (or 4 chicken breasts) per meal, so it’s a great item to have stored away in the cupboard.
What are your favourite uses for Shake’n Bake?
Approximate Cooking Times:
(Baked @ 400ºF)
- Chicken Fingers: 10-15 min.
- Chicken Nuggets: 10 min.
- Chicken Breast: 20 min.
- Bone in Chicken: 45 min.
- Stuffed Chicken (such as Cordon Bleu): 20 min.
- 9 cups cornflakes (4 cups crushed)
- 2 beef bouillon cubes, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 2 teaspoons sage
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pulse all together in a food processor until cornflakes become crumbs. Or, mix seasoning with previously crushed cornflakes.
- To use: Place ½ cup mix in a bag or bowl and coat chicken pieces. Use as you would regular shake’n bake.
- *To use as regular shake’n bake: place the shake’n bake mixture in a shallow bowl or in a bag and toss the chicken pieces in the mixture until completely coated. Bake as directed in the recipe or using the suggested times above.