James has been traveling for work quite a bit lately so I’ve been doing a lot of cooking for just me and Max. Normally that means I take a break from the kitchen and make things like hot dogs and poutines. But something has gotten into me lately and I’m finding myself wanting to make real dinners even when my hubby’s gone. But, since I’ve got both kids by myself I like to keep it simple and quick.
Recipes like this one are what help me keep it healthy when it’s just me and the kids. It comes together so quick it doesn’t even enter your mind that there might be something simpler to make. This coming from a girl who microwaves ham and cheese quesadillas on a regular basis for lunch. Because who wants to go through all of the work to preheat a pan? (Sad I know, but I honestly don’t mind them this way. These Chicken, Bacon and Black Bean Quesadillas on the other hand are far to special to make in the microwave.)
I’m very lucky because Max is not a picky eater. But, you can always tell when he REALLY likes something because he eats just as much as me (sometimes more). Pizza, waffles and spaghetti are a few of the items on that list and these wraps just joined them.
I love the way the sauce coats the chicken and thickens up a bit once it hits the hot pan. Makes my lips smack together just thinking about it. Although, if you want to pack this in a picnic lunch I would advise simply stirring the salsa and ranch together and using it as a dressing to drizzle over the wraps before rolling up. You could skip the whole cooking process altogether by using cooled leftover chicken as well. Either way it’s super quick and super tasty.
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cut into strips
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup salsa
- ¼ ranch dressing
- shredded cheese, lettuce and sliced red bell peppers, to serve
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Add a small amount of oil to the pan, add chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until cooked through. Stir in salsa and ranch. Cook until bubbly.
- To serve: Place a tortilla on a plate. Top with chicken mixture, shredded cheese, lettuce and red pepper. Roll up and serve.
Adapted from Kraft.