The kids and I love having salads for lunch during the week. When we’re driving home from picking Max up from Kindergarten and they find out we’re having salad for lunch, cheers erupt from the back seat. I usually just make up a salad with whatever protein, veg, and dressing we have on hand. But, over time we have created some really good ones that definitely deserve repeating. Since summer is right around the corner, fresh produce abounds, and salads are the perfect midday meal to enjoy in the heat of the day, I thought I’d share some favourite main dish salads (and homemade dressings) over the coming weeks.
This first salad is so refreshing. We had enjoyed some crispy chicken a night or two before, I had some honey mustard poppy seed dressing on hand that needed to be used up, and a ripe mango that was pleading to add a pop of colour and flavour to a fresh salad. Add to that some crunchy almonds, crisp celery, fresh cucumbers, and creamy goat cheese and you have a salad to dream about.
The dressing itself is quite light and creamy as it uses greek yogurt in place of oil. It has a nice heat and tang from Dijon mustard that is nicely balanced with a few dollops of honey. And, it complements this bright, fresh salad perfectly.
I’m looking forward to sharing more of our favourite salads and dressings with you this month! In the meantime, if you’re looking for more inspiration you can check out and follow my Dinner Salads board on Pinterest.
- 1 head butter lettuce, torn into bite size pieces
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- ½ english cucumber, quartered and chopped
- 1 mango, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 45g goat cheese, crumbed
- 2 leftover crispy chicken breasts, sliced (or make it fresh)
- ¼ cup slivered or sliced almonds
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (you can use yellow mustard if you prefer)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1.5 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon poppy seeds
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- pinch pepper
- Arrange lettuce in one large, or two medium, salad bowls (or plates). Top with celery, cucumber, and mango. Scatter goat cheese over all. Top with Chicken. Sprinkle with almonds. Drizzle with dressing just before serving. Toss.
- Place all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until smooth and evenly incorporated. Store, covered, in the fridge until ready to use.
Honey Mustard Dressing adapted from Creme De La Crumb.