Hello friends! I kind of disappeared off the face of the earth for a little bit there didn’t I? The wonderful thing about fall and your son being in preschool is that you get all sorts of wonderful bugs brought back to your home. Let’s just say that food has been the last thing on my mind and health has been at the foremost. Probiotics are being consumed daily and I have a newly spurned desire to make sure, even more, that what we’re eating is not only tasty but nourishing for our bodies too. And a healthy day starts with breakfast!
This oatmeal was actually Max’s idea. I was going to make our usual Banana Walnut Oatmeal when he protested that today he wanted Apple Oatmeal! So I decided to take my go-to and give it an apple-cinnamon spin. It was a hit and it will now be going into our morning oatmeal rotation.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk (or almond/coconut milk)
- 1 small apple (or ½ large), peeled and diced
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg
- pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ⅓ cup raisins
- Place water, milk, apple, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and maple syrup in a medium-sized saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Stir in oats and raisins. Simmer over medium heat for 8 minutes or until desired thickness. Top with additional milk, cinnamon and apple slices before serving, if desired.