Yesterday I stood staring at the abundance of gorgeous purple plums sitting on my counter. I knew I needed to use them up soon but I wasn’t sure what I wanted to make with them. I love plum jelly but since I don’t have any canning equipment that wasn’t really a possibility. That’s why this recipe immediately caught my eye when I went on my Internet search for recipes.
I’ve never made fruit butter before but it seemed so easy I had to give it a try. It will now be my go to when a little bit of fruit needs using up. It’s really so simple to throw together and makes the house smell amazing while it bubbles away.
Fall spices with the sweetness of plums and crisp tart apples make this a perfect fall spread and a wonderful hostess gift. I mean, just look at that gorgeous purple color! It has me swooning.
Have you made any fruit butters before? What are your favourite combinations?
- 3 medium sized plums (or 4 small), pitted and quartered
- 2 medium sized tart apples, peeled, cored and quartered
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- dash cloves
- Place plums, apples and water in a medium sized saucepan. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until fruit is tender.
- Remove from heat and pour into blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Pour back into saucepan. Add remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, uncovered, for 40 minutes or until thick enough that it mounds on a plate without spreading.
- Cool completely before covering. Store in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.
Adapted from tasteofhome.