First of all I want to thank you all so much for your sweet comments last week on my Blogversary post. It really made me wish that each and every one of you could win the giveaway. Unfortunately it cannot be so and I had to pick only one lucky winner.
I considered writing out each persons name and drawing out of a box but I didn’t want to be held personally responsible for anybody’s dashed dreams. So instead, I assigned each entry with a number and ran the numbers through random.org. So, you can take up your quarrel with them. :)
I know you would all love to know if you won so I will cut to the chase. The winner of the giveaway and a $60 gift certificate to csn stores is… CookTeen! Congratulations!! You’ll be getting an e-mail from me shortly. ;)
For the rest of you, I have made cake.
Moist and spicy Zucchini Carrot Cake smothered in a dreamy layer of Cream Cheese Frosting with a hint of maple and brown sugar. To be exact. Feel a little better now?
I have been a long time fan of Carrot Cake and to me it’s just not the same without a Cream Cheese Frosting. The fact that this recipe has zucchini in it, is what originally piqued my interest. Zucchini means moist. And, moist means delicious.
The headiness of the spices and the deep flavours of maple and brown sugar makes this the perfect cake to enjoy that fall produce.
P.S. I got the poll working for Colorful Mondays so make sure to head over and vote for the next weeks color (and submit your tomato reds for next monday)!
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅔ cup canola oil
- 1¼ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 (8oz) package cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Beat sugar and eggs until frothy. Whisk in canola oil.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt in a separate bowl. Beat into egg mixture until well combined.
- Fold in carrots, zucchini and walnuts.
- Pour into 2 greased 8 inch round cake pans. Bake at 350ºF for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool 5-10 minutes before removing from pans. Cool completely before frosting.
- Cream together cream cheese, butter and brown sugar. Beat in maple syrup and vanilla until well blended. Spread onto cooled cake.
- This has a very light maple and brown sugar flavour. Feel free to add more of either to suite your taste.
Cake portion adapted from TasteofHome.