Does anybody else feel like Christmas should be at the end of January? We get so excited about the snow leading up to Christmas and then as soon as Christmas is over we seem to be ready for winter to be over too. But, winter has just started!
I genuinely like winter. It gives you the excuse to do lot’s of baking, have a pyjama day without feeling guilty and enjoy the coziness of coming in from the cold and sipping on some hot chocolate. The problem for me is that most of the “magic” disappears along with Christmas. If we celebrated it at the end of January that would give us one whole extra month to be in the Christmas spirit and have something besides Spring to look forward to.
I’m not saying we should change tradition, but I guess maybe it’s just time to find the magic of winter without Christmas. I think my friend Aimée’s idea of a winter picnic would be the perfect way to do that. Now if only my jacket would do up over my pregnant belly.
Our family has a pizza night every weekend. For the longest time would just make Hawaiian because it’s my hubby’s favourite. But, since we were having it every week I was really wanting to branch out and find some other favourites. Surprisingly enough it seems difficult to find a pizza that we all love. But this time I hit the nail on the head.
I took our favourite thin crust pizza dough, topped it with barbecue sauce, chicken, cheese, red peppers, green onions and pineapple. It was perfect and we all ate way too much of it. I think my two year old had three or four pieces. Although, when the pizza crust is so thin you can down a lot more slices. I love that this doesn’t have the traditional tomato pizza sauce because sometimes you just need to change things up.
This one will definitely be going into our pizza night rotation and I’ll be sure to share any other favourites that we hit along the way.
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup barbecue sauce, divided
- 1 ball thin crust pizza dough*
- 3 cups shredded cheese
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 (227g/8oz) can pineapple tidbits
- Preheat a skillet over medium high heat. Add a small amount of oil and then add chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until cooked through. Add ¼ cup of barbecue sauce and toss to coat.
- Roll and stretch pizza dough to cover a 12×15 inch jelly roll pan. Spread remaining ¼ cup barbecue sauce over all. Top with chicken, cheese, pepper, onions, and pineapple.
- Bake at 500ºC for 10-12 minutes until cheese is bubbly and crust is cooked through.
- *Make sure to use your favourite barbecue sauce. The better it tastes the better the pizza will taste!
- * You can use whatever pizza dough you like just make sure to follow the instructions for the baking of that dough.
*Here is the recipe for thin crust pizza dough.