My son is already beginning to chase me around the house. He giggles and giggles as he runs after me with some sort of object that he believes is scaring me. I have a feeling this mother is going to have her fair share of running away from little boys who are chasing her with weird and disgusting things. The older they get, the worse the things will become and the more I will actually be running for my life. Perhaps I should not be encouraging this action at such a young age? But, it’s hard not to when it’s just so darn cute!
These Tortilla Salad Bowls are so much fun. They dress up the everyday main dish salad and turn it into something special. What child would not want to dig into a salad when it is being hosted in such a cute little package? I know it sure makes me a lot more eager to dig in. They could not be easier to make and are still uber healthy, because there are no oils used to crisp them up. The restaurant version is usually a deep fried corn tortilla, virtually turning into a gigantic chip. And, although they are yummy, it kind of defeats the purpose of eating a salad in the first place. This is a much healthier alternative and equal the amount of fun.
Speaking of salads. I am kind of in a side-dish salad rut. Anybody have some quick and tasty side-dish salads they would like to share?
- Take large sheets of aluminum foil and scrunch them up into balls approximately 3 inches in diameter. (You can make them larger or smaller depending on the look you are going for.)
- Wet each tortilla (8-9 inch) by running through tap water or giving it a quick dip in a pan filled with water. The point is to moisten it enough that it is flexible, not to make it sopping wet.
- Drape the tortillas over the foil balls, pleating them into the shape that you want. They will naturally drape over the ball as they bake, but I like to give them a bit of help with the shape so that I get the look I want.
- Place them on a baking sheet and bake at 400ºF for about 5 min. until starting to crisp up. Remove from oven, flip over, take out the foil balls and bake for another 2 min, until lightly browned and crisp.
- Let cool. Fill with salad fixing and enjoy! :)
- For added flavour, sprinkle the tortilla bowls with spices that match your salad, just before baking. I sprinkled mine with homemade Cajun Seasoning and served it with a Cajun Chicken Caesar Salad.
- The foil balls can be easily used over as many times as you like, so there is no need for waste. Why not make two foil balls and bake them 2 at a time?