I have a confession to make. I am not so great with potatoes. Don’t get me wrong, I love potatoes. In fact, they are one of my favourite vegetables. But, my husband does not appreciate their texture or lack of flavour so making potatoes is a little foreign to me.
When I saw some Roasted Mashed Potatoes on Hot Garlic I knew I had to give them a try. Mashed potatoes that are loaded with flavour and no fuss? Count me in! You know what my husband said after digging in? “These are pretty good for mashed potatoes.” Score! I probably still won’t be making them very often because I enjoy cooking for other people rather then myself, and pretty good just doesn’t cut it for me. But, as a potato fan I have to say, these had an excellent roasted garlicky flavour.
This is the beginning of my countdown to Thanksgiving. I am a Canadian living in Norway so I won’t be able to celebrate Thanksgiving with my family and friends, which makes me a little sad. So, I thought it would be fun to spread out our Thanksgiving meal over the next couple of weeks so that James and I can enjoy the food without a ton of leftovers. Plus, I was hoping to help inspire you if your Thanksgiving Meal Planning Well was running dry.
Anybody have any great potato tips they would like to share?
- ½ onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 6 potatoes
- 1 tsp. basil (or other herb), optional
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 -4 Tbsp. cream (or milk)
- Peel and chop onion into large chunks. Peel garlic, leave whole. Chop potatoes into quarters or smaller, depending on the size.
- Lightly grease a baking pan with olive oil. Place onions, garlic, and potatoes inside and drizzle with more olive oil. Sprinkle on basil, salt and pepper.
- Bake at 375ºF (190ºC) for 50 min-1 hour, until potatoes are tender.
- Place in a food processor, mixer, or bowl and mash. Add butter and cream to preference and beat until smooth. Add more salt and pepper if needed.
- *My mom’s rule of thumb was always 2 regular sized potatoes, per person, when mashing.
*Here is the recipe for Basil & Prosciutto Chicken Cordon Bleu.