This is a great last-minute dessert for company or when your craving something pumpin-y. I got this recipe from my cousin Rachel. It comes together in one bowl with simple ingredients and results in a comforting moist yet fluffy spiced cake.
This is the kind of dessert that I can eat way to much of. The cake itself is so delicious that we’ve enjoyed it even without the cream cheese frosting. But as everyone knows cream cheese frosting and spice cake go hand in hand and it definitely puts this over the top.
I know everyone has a different definition of sheet cake. A sheet cake to me is a one layer square or rectangular cake, any size. They are simple to make for last-minute company but since you’re serving them cake they’ll feel like you’ve laboured.
Its natural orange color (which is more vibrant when using canned pumpkin) makes it a perfect dessert for any Halloween parties in your future. For a simple decoration make a spiderweb pattern on the frosting with chocolate syrup. You could either do it over the whole cake or on individual pieces. The frosting stays soft so there should be no problems doing it just before serving (but you could also do it ahead if you prefer).
Whatever event you serve this at, be assured that people will be asking for more.
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 oz. (1/4 cup) cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons icing (confectioners) sugar
- ¾ teaspoons heavy cream (or ½ teaspoon milk)
- Whisk together oil, sugar and eggs. Whisk in flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon, until no lumps remain. Stir in pumpkin puree until evenly distributed. Pour into a greased or parchment lined 8×8 baking pan. Bake at 350ºF for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Cream together cream cheese and butter. Stir in vanilla. Whisk in icing sugar until smooth. Stir in cream until evenly distributed. Spread onto cooled cake.