Christmas is almost here. Ahh! I can’t believe it. Why does it seem to sneak up so fast? I’ve been putting off my Christmas “chores” thinking I’ve got tons of time and am just now realizing that I have to get it all done in less then a week. Overload! My procrastination has gotten the better of me.
When we were little it took forever for Christmas to come and now it feels like you just start getting into the holiday spirit and it’s over already. I guess the saying’s true, “time flies when you’re having fun”. Or when you’re stressed out. But, hopefully it’s because you’re having fun. :) I’m trying to put it at the forefront of my mind to enjoy the holiday and not worry about everything being perfect. Simple recipes like this one definitely help.
Peanut butter. Popcorn. Chocolate cover peanuts. Pretzels. All four drool worthy on there own, but when combined they make one deliciously fast and easy snack or last minute food gift. I like to think that this is a little healthier then caramel popcorn since it has some protein in the peanuts and peanut butter. That always makes things healthier right? ;)
All the aspects are here for a perfectly balanced and addicting snack. Sweet and salty, crunchy and contains chocolate. Perfect for curling up on the couch in your pj’s and munching away while you watch your favourite holiday flick. Hmm… I think I’m going to go take my own advice right now.
- 8 cups popped popcorn
- 2 cups pretzels
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup liquid honey
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chocolate covered peanuts
- Mix together popcorn and pretzels.
- Place sugar, honey and syrup in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in peanut butter and vanilla until melted.
- Pour hot peanut butter mixture over popcorn and pretzels. Toss until evenly coated. Allow to cool before adding chocolate covered peanuts.
- Avoid the urge to boil the sugar mixture for longer then 2 minutes. This will make the coating set up too hard.
- If you won’t be eating this right away, lay it out on baking sheets to dry. This way it won’t clump together in one solid mass.