Welcome back to my new-ish blog. :) I’m so glad to be back sharing brand new recipes with you! It will still take some time before the archives are fully back to normal and before I get this new theme completely tweaked to my liking but so far I’m happy. And, I’m sooo thankful for the wonders of the web that I was able to find versions of my old posts. You can bet that my blog will be triple backed up now so that we never have to go through this again!
I’ve been dying to share these wraps with you. They actually got my family to eat raw kale and like it! When I was brainstorming healthy ideas for the new year a Caesar wrap with kale just seemed like the perfect winter spin on a classic, but I knew that raw kale would be hard to pass by my family’s palate. I’ve seen the idea of massaged kale for salads a couple of times and thought I would give it a try. You massage the kale with a bit of oil until it basically wilts, the texture becomes much softer and the flavour not quite so bold. It makes such a huge difference – all of my kale salads will be done this way from now on!
This is a healthy lunch or dinner that’s super simple but just a little bit different then your average Caesar wrap. Here you take chicken breasts, brush them with caesar dressing for added flavour, top them with grated parmesan and broil until lightly charred. Slice them up, place them on a tortilla along with a hefty dose of nutrient dense kale that has been tossed with lemon zest, juice and parmesan cheese, throw in a few crumbles of bacon for good measure and you’ve got major deliciousness on your hands. The bacon is just enough to add a punch of flavour without a ton of added fat, but it can easily be left out if you prefer.
I made a batch of these the first time for dinner and the next week again for my hubby’s lunches. I left all of the components separate so he just had to do the assembly himself though out the week. It worked great and I loved knowing that he (and us!) had the makings of a crave-worthy and healthy lunch at his fingertips.
- 3 small chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons Caesar dressing
- 1.5 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 bunch kale, removed from stems and torn into bites sized pieces
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ lemon, juice and zest
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan
- 8, 8 inch whole wheat (or gluten free) wraps
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled (optional)
- Caesar dressing
- parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Place the chicken on a foil lined baking sheet. Brush each chicken breast with ½ tablespoon of Caesar dressing. Place approximately 8 inches below a preheated broiler and let cook for 8 minutes. Remove from oven, flip chicken, brush each breast with another ½ tablespoon of dressing and sprinkle evenly with parmesan cheese. Place under broiler for another 8 minutes or until cooked through.
- Allow to cool for several minutes and then cut into strips.
- Place kale in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil. Massage the kale with your fingers until the leaves soften and turn dark. Toss with lemon zest, juice and parmesan.
- Spread a large dollop of dressing over one tortilla. Top with several slices of chicken, a sprinkling of bacon and a large handful of massaged kale. Top with additional parmesan cheese, if desired. Roll up and serve.