I got this idea of making a processed-sugar-free simple syrup, for our beverages, out of pure necessity. We’ve been sick more often this year then any I can remember, which I’m crediting to the fact that Max started going to playschool. And, every time we get sick it seems to be when we’re not being as careful about what we eat – less probiotics, more processed sugar, etc. So in my need for the occasional coffee to get through a sleep deprived day, and the fact that I don’t really like coffee without some sort of sweetener + flavour booster, and also the fact that a girl just has to unwind with a latte once in a while, I decided to create a different kind of flavoured simple syrup. One with all the spices of gingerbread and the sweetness of maple syrup. A.K.A. Christmas in a mug.
You can use this syrup to flavour and sweeten whatever kind of drink you like, hot chocolate, iced coffee, mochas – you name it! I’ve included a recipe for how I turn it into a gingerbread latte. I add whipped cream for special days but enjoy it just as much without for a midweek pick-me-up. Lucky for you, it’s almost the weekend so you deserve a dollop or two. ;) Happy Friday!
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup real maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- ½ cup milk (or milk alternative)
- 1.5 tablespoons maple gingerbread syrup
- 2 fl. oz (1/4 cup) espresso or very strong coffee
- whipped cream (*coconut whipped cream for dairy-free), optional
- nutmeg, optional
- Stir together all ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer. Simmer gently for 10 minutes or until thickened slightly. Use immediately or allow to cool before storing, covered, the fridge. Stir or shake before using.
- Place milk and syrup in a small saucepan. Whisk over medium heat until steaming. Pour coffee into mug, top with milk mixture. Serve immediately or top with whipped cream and a sprinkling of nutmeg, if desired.
*Here is how you make dairy-free coconut whipped cream.