This is a twist off of my mom”s Broccoli Salad recipe. Hers is packed full of yummy goodness like grapes, sesame seeds, grated carrots and crumbled bacon. Although it is one of my favorite salads to eat, I”m much to lazy to make it for a weeknight dinner. This is my simplified version with a bit different ingredients which I think is just as yummy.
The dressing on this salad is sweet and tangy lending itself to all sorts of fruit and nut combinations. You could really mix this up with any type of fruit and nuts you like. Strawberries and almonds would be a nice change. Or, how about apples and walnuts. Mmm.. apple season. I”m actually getting quite excited about fall and all it”s produce.
I chose to fill mine with broccoli, mandarin oranges, cashews, dried cranberries and red onion. It”s a stunning combination. And, this is a great do ahead too, although you”ll want to add the nuts just before serving as they tend to get soggy.
What yummy combinations would your salad consist of?
Mandarin Orange Broccoli Salad
- 1 head of broccoli florets (4 cups)
- 1 can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- pinch dry mustard
- Place broccoli, oranges, cashews, onion and cranberries in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Mix together mayo, sugar, vinegar, oil and mustard. Pour over salad ingredients and mix lightly to coat.
- Serve immediately.