We’ve been trying to find more ways to incorporate veggies into our breakfasts. Fruit is a lot easier to work into breakfast then veggies seem to be. A raw apple verses a raw carrot first thing in the morning? Apple please. So I’ve been getting creative with taking our go-to breakfasts and working veggies in, in a tasty way that you actually want to eat them first thing in the morning.
This oatmeal has become one of our favourites. It’s an instant oatmeal, but it uses rolled oats instead of instant. I can’t stand the texture of instant oatmeal, so this is a must for me. We like the versatility of making individual servings in the microwave because it’s quick, I can whip one up fresh when each person comes to the table, and everyone can customize their own easily. I can’t even remember the last time I made a big batch on the stove.
Filled with carrots, spices and maple syrup (or brown sugar) this oatmeal tastes remarkably like carrot cake. And, when you top it with walnuts and raisins, it just seals the deal. If grating carrots first thing in the morning sounds like too much work then grate a batch earlier in the week to have on hand for breakfasts. A food processor with a grating attachment makes quick work of it.
Enjoy some veggies for breakfast. I promise, it won’t be a chore. ;)
- ⅓ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup grated carrots, packed
- pinch salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of ground cloves, ginger and nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or brown sugar
- ⅔ cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 1-2 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- splash of milk or almond milk* for serving
- Place oats, carrots, salt, spices, syrup and water in a microwavable bowl. Microwave for 2 minutes. Stir. If needed continue microwaving in 30 second intervals until desired consistency. Top with raisin, walnuts and milk just before serving.
*Here’s a recipe for homemade homemade almond milk.