Muffins are one of my favourite grab and go breakfasts. I love having them stashed away in the freezer for last-minute breakfasts and snacks, and I feel much better about grabbing them often when they’re packed with nothing but goodness. I’ve been working on a 100% whole wheat muffin recipe that is also processed sugar free for some time now, and I’m happy to say that it’s finally ready for sharing! These are our new go-to muffins. Not only because they’re healthy but also because they’re delicious.
In my mind, these are everything a muffin should be. Lightly sweet with a tender yet hearty crumb. Full of flavour, with a mouthful of fruit in every bite. Wholesome, while still crave-worthy. They are the perfect accompaniment to a mug of hot coffee or tea.
You can use a mixture of berries, or just feature one as the star. I don’t recommend strawberries as they take a little more care to work with and may make the end results a bit soggy. So, if you can, stick with whole berries for this recipe.
What is your favourite, healthy, grab and go breakfast?
- 1¼ cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 banana, peeled and mashed
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup honey (melted if using creamed)
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 cup fresh or frozen mixed berries
- In a large bowl stir together flour, oats, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl whisk together mashed bananas, olive oil, honey, egg, milk and vanilla. Pour over flour mixture and stir just until combined. Stir in yogurt or sour cream. Let sit for 5-10 minutes to allow the whole wheat flour to soak up the liquids.
- Gently stir in the berries. Spoon evenly into 12 paper-lined muffins cups. Top with additional berries or oats, if desired.
- Bake at 400ºF for 20-25 minutes if using fresh berries, 25-30 minutes if using frozen berries (or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean). Allow to cool for several minutes before removing to cooling racks to cool completely.