Happy July! I’m so excited that summer is here and in full swing. That means potlucks, BBQs, and picnics galore! If you’re looking for a simple picnic/potluck sandwich to impress, you must give these ham and swiss sliders a try. They are so simple yet so flavourful. We served them at Max’s birthday party and several people said they were the best sandwiches they had ever eaten.
I was trying to keep it simple but I didn’t realize I was making something so crave worthy in the process. The butter mustard topping is what makes it. It’s like the topping on an everything bagel took a swim in butter and mustard. Seriously, delicious.
The best part is they are just as delicious served fresh from the oven as they are at room temperature. Which means they’re great for bringing along to events away from the house. Just make sure to eat (or refrigerate) them within 2 hours of baking, and don’t leave them in the sun, if possible.
You can bet this will be my go-to sandwich to contribute to larger get togethers this summer. When it’s this simple and delicious do I really have any other option?
- 24 slider rolls (white, whole wheat, or gluten free)
- 24 slices honey ham
- 24 small slices swiss cheese
- 1.5 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- poppy seeds, for sprinkling
- Spread both sides of the rolls with a thin layer of mayo. Top bottom half with a slice of ham and a slice of cheese. Place tops back on and arrange rolls on a rimmed baking sheet.
- In a small bowl whisk together mustard, butter, onion, and Worcestershire sauce. Drizzle over prepared rolls. Sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350ºF for 10 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 2 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Serve warm or at room temperature.