I am seriously so excited to be sharing this with all of you. Last spring when searching for online cooking schools I ran across a site called Rouxbe. I can’t gush enough about how much it has changed the quality of my cooking. It’s taught me how to cook without a cookbook, which ends up saving me money because I’m better able to throw things together and have them turn out. That’s because they teach you how to understand the process of cooking so that you get great results every time. Once you practice, the lessons become second nature, and the chances of a dish not turning out become almost non-existent.
I could go on but I might as well just show you. Here’s a great video from Rouxbe that really sums up what they’re about.
Watch more video tours of Rouxbe.
I didn’t want to keep this jewel to myself any longer so I’ve become an affiliate partner with Rouxbe and will occasionally be sharing some of their tips, tricks and videos on this site.
But, that’s not all. Today Rouxbe is being so generous as to give away a three-month membership to two Kitchen Simplicity readers. I’m giddy over the fact that I get to give two of my fabulous readers three months of free cooking school curriculum (see bottom of post on how to enter).
And, there’s still even a little bit more. Every reader of Kitchen Simplicity can sign up for a free 14 day trial, which is only available by following my affiliate links. There’s no obligation to become a paying student once your trial period’s ended so there’s no need to fear giving it a go. Although, I can’t promise you won’t get hooked!
I used to hate eating plain chicken with just salt and pepper. It always tasted meaty, dry and bland. I never thought I would be the type of person that would be able to eat a plate of plain chicken, rice and vegetables and be happy with it. But, that has all changed over the last couple of months, and I am so glad. My family is eating so much healthier because I’m learning how to cook the basics and do them right so that they’re mouth-wateringly good.
Pan frying chicken breasts is a great and healthy way to make a burger during the cold winter months. These Crispy Prosciutto Chicken Burgers have become a favourite at our house. When following the proper techniques of pan frying, the chicken stays moist while the prosciutto becomes nice and crisp. We love the tropical flavours of pineapple on our burgers and the french fried onions add so much flavour. I definitely don’t miss the grill when these are on the menu.
Sign up for your 14 day free trial to view the whole cooking school lesson.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 4 slices prosciutto, cut in half
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- butter, for buns
- 4 slices cheese (monterey jack and swiss are our favourites)
- 4 pineapple rings
- french fried onions
- mayo, mustard and barbecue sauce, for serving
- Cut the chicken in half width-wise to create 4 thin chicken breasts. If necessary, cover with plastic wrap and lightly pound with the heel of your hand until evenly flattened. Cut each piece in half creating 8 thin medallions. Season each piece of chicken with salt and pepper. Place a slice of prosciutto on each piece and press down lightly so that it adheres. Preheat a pan over medium high heat. Add a small amount of oil and cook chicken, prosciutto side down, until the prosciutto is crisp and the chicken is white along the edges. Flip and cook until no longer pink in the centre.
- Spread buns with butter and toast under a broiler until top is browned.
- Assemble burgers with two chicken medallions, one slice cheese, one pineapple ring, a sprinkling of french fried onions and the condiments of your choice.
4 Ways to Win:
For a chance to win a free three-month membership to Rouxbe.com do one, any or all of the following.
- Leave a comment and tell me what you’d like to learn at a cooking school.
- Sign up for your 14 day free trial by following any of the links from my site to Rouxbe.
- Follow me on twitter, follow Rouxbe on twitter or mention the giveaway (with link) on twitter.
- Like my facebook page or mention the giveaway on facebook (with link).
* IMPORTANT: Please leave a separate comment for every entry letting me know which entry you have done. That way I won’t miss it!
The contest will end on Sunday at 8:00 am CET. Make sure to check back to this post on Sunday (January 9th) to see if you’ve won!
P.S. This contest is open world-wide!
**** This Giveaway is Now Closed ****
And the Winners Are:
1) Sheri: “I’ve been a pretty lazy cook for most of my life, but have recently been finding the joy in process as much as the results. I’d love to improve my basic cooking skills and then challenge myself to move beyond recipes. Working full time (and then some) I wouldn’t have time for traditional classes but the rouxbe online classes sound perfect!”
2) Stephanie Sonksen: “I also would like to be able to ad lib in the kitchen. I love following recipes, but I wish I had better cooking instincts.”
Congratulations ladies! I’m so excited for you! I’ll be e-mailing you your redeem codes shortly.
Thanks to everyone who entered! As always, I wish you could all win! Don’t forget, you can still learn from Rouxbe by signing up for your 14 day trial, so all hope is not lost.
All the best in your cooking adventures!