My love of crispy chicken burgers and sandwiches knows no bounds. If I spot it on the menu, no matter how hard I try to convince myself to try something else, I’ll always end up getting it. I know if I ordered something else I’d just wish it were more crispy, chicken-y and sandwich-ish. So, I stick to the usual and have yet to be disappointed in my decision. You can’t choose
who what you love crave.
I recently made a recipe for a crispy chicken sandwich that was fried in a skillet. *shudder* All it did was remind me of all the reasons I hate deep-frying. Really, I despiseit. The greasy smell that lingers in the house. The grease splattered walls and floor. Not my cup of tea! But what it really means, is that I have to find healthier alternatives that are just as yummy as their greasy counterparts. Darn. :)
This Crispy Chicken Sandwich is worlds better than the deep-fried version I tried and makes so much less mess. It’s flavour packed – starting with a sour cream marinade and crispy chicken coating, and ending with a quick aioli slathered onto crusty rolls. Who needs fast food when you can make something this easy and delicious at home?
- 2 chicken breasts, cut in half widthwise to make 4 thin ones
- sour cream marinade (below)
- ½-1 cup homemade shake ‘n bake*
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ tablespoon minced chives
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 ciabatta rolls (or other), split
- lettuce, tomatoes, cheese
- Mix together ingredients for the sour cream marinade. Place chicken in the marinade, making sure each piece is coated evenly. Let sit at room temperature for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile preheat the oven to 400ºF while you prepare the rest of the meal.
- Stir together aioli ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Coat marinated chicken pieces in homemade shake ‘n bake. Place on a baking sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until cooked through.
- Serve on rolls spread with aioli and topped with lettuce, sliced tomatoes and cheese.
- *Tip: for extra crispiness, bake the chicken on an oven proof cooling rack so the air can circulate under the chicken as well.
*Here is the recipe for homemade shake ‘n bake.
Aioli adapted from Donna Hay.