My mother-in-law makes THE BEST pasta salad. I don’t think I ever really liked pasta salad until I tried hers years ago. I think my hubby could eat the entire bowl all by himself for dinner if he weren’t so sensible.
And guess what, you are so lucky! Today, I’m sharing her recipe with you and now you can be known for making THE BEST pasta salad too!
Summer barbecues and picnics just wouldn’t be complete without a delicious pasta salad, in my books. The deliciousness begins with small bite-sized pasta that gets tossed with some green onions, hard boiled eggs, tomatoes and bacon, and then coated in a lightly sweetened creamy dressing. It’s so simple, and it tastes so fresh, with just the right balance of flavour. Deli pasta salad doesn’t stand a chance once you’ve tried a bite of this.
Whether you make it for an Easter picnic or a summer barbecue you must not pass up the opportunity to get this classic under your belt!
P.S. This pasta salad is a great way to use up a few of those Easter eggs you’re bound to have lying around in a few days time. Post Easter BBQ, anyone? (Yay, spring!)
- 4 cups macaroni (or other small pasta)
- 3 hard boiled eggs, cut in half and sliced
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- ¼ cup cream (or dairy-free alternative)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (or honey)
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook macaroni according to package directions, making sure they are al dente (cooked through but with a bit of bite). Once cooked, rinse pasta in a strainer with cold water to stop the cooking process and to cool down quickly.
- Stir together dressing ingredients. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl stir together cooked and cooled macaroni, eggs, tomato, and onions. Season with salt and pepper. Add dressing. Toss to coat. Stir in bacon. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, if needed.
- Store in the fridge before serving. If making ahead you may need to stir in a bit more cream to loosen it back up.