It’s soup season! And, I couldn’t be happier about it. Soup is so comforting, flavourful and easy to make, and that fact that is warms you up instantly from the inside out is an added bonus. I find my feet and hands cold constantly these days and I’m wrapped up in my sweater for most of the day. But after a couple bites of soup the sweater goes off and I’m warmed right through.
Although soup is generally easy to make, it’s not always quick. I’ve had my eye out for quick soups for a while now. I’m lucky enough to have my hubby come home for lunch every day and I like to occasionally make a quick, warm, fresh meal to get us out of the sandwich/leftovers doldrums. Quick, being the key word because although we can take our time with supper, lunch has more of a time constraint.
This soup fits the bill on all accounts. It’s made from start to finish in 30 minutes (great for a last-minute dinner too), it’s so flavourful (the first chicken tortilla soup my family has actually loved), has just the right balance of flavours (I’ve tried so many versions of this soup that were far to tart and lacking in flavour) and it’s a warming, nutritious meal for the middle of the day. I know it’ll be on the table often when we’re in need of something to warm our bellies and our toes.
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1.5 cups frozen corn
- 1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped into bite size pieces
- juice of 1 small lime
- To serve: crushed tortilla chips, shredded cheese, sour cream, chopped green onions, cilantro
- In a large saucepan, heat a bit of oil over medium heat. Add onion, cook until softened. Add salt, bell pepper, garlic and cumin, cook for 2 minutes. Stir in broth, bay leaf, corn, tomatoes and chicken. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Add lime juice, simmer for several minutes. Remove bay leaf and serve with desired toppings.
Adapted from Weelicious.