We’ve been eating these quesadillas for a couple of years now. This is our absolute favourite combination of quesadilla fillings. How could it not be? They’ve got every possible form of goodness in them – bacon, cream cheese, black beans, green chilies, chicken… I’ll stop now before I list off all the ingredients. I love them all!
All of this is just made that much better by the smokiness from the barbecue. In the winter months we do make them on the stove top, so that is a tasty alternative if you don’t have a grill handy.
We’re still in the middle of moving so I’m sharing a recipe that I original created for Smithfield.com a long while ago. If you feel like you recognize the photo or recipe, that’s why! ;) It’s no longer available on their site and I thought it deserved it’s time in the spotlight here on the blog, since we make it so often. Enjoy!
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces (2 cups cooked)
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (4 oz) can green chilies
- ½ cup spreadable cream cheese
- 6 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 8, 8 inch flour tortillas
- sour cream and salsa, for serving
- Saute the chicken with chili powder, oregano, salt and pepper in a bit of oil over medium heat in a large skillet until starting to brown. Add red pepper and saute until chicken is cooked through and peppers are softened. Add black beans, green chilies, and cream cheese. Cook until melted together. Remove from heat and stir in cooked bacon.
- Place four tortillas on a clean countertop. Spread with chicken mixture. Sprinkle with green onions and cheese. Top with remaining four tortillas.
- Cook on a grill over medium heat for a couple of minutes on each side until tortillas are crispy and cheese is melted. Alternatively you can cook them, one at a time, in a dry skillet over medium heat.
- Cut each quesadilla into 6 pieces. Serve with sour cream and salsa.