One part of the Daring Cooks challenge this month was to make some sort of fried wonton dessert. The filling and shape were up to us. I chose to go with a Peanut Caramel which I rolled into balls and coated in chocolate before wrapping them up into homemade wonton wrappers. Once they were cooked, I drizzled them with more chocolate and sprinkled them with peanuts. The only thing that I would change about this recipe is that there was too much caramel per wonton. It was very sweet. I wrote the recipe as I would make it next time. I thought these were very tasty and would make an excellent addition to a dessert platter.
Go to the bottom of the post for step-by-step photos.
Caramel Peanut Wontons
- 24 wonton wrappers (recipe here)
- egg wash (1 egg whisked with 1 Tbsp. water)
- 1 recipe peanut caramel
- 8 oz. semi sweet chocolate, melted
- oil (make sure it is suitable for high heat. ie. canola oil)
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped peanuts
- Dip each caramel ball into chocolate and place back onto parchment paper.
- Cool in the freezer until chocolate is firm.
- Place one wonton wrapper on work surface (making sure to keep others covered with a damp towel). Brush the edges with egg wash.
- Place one chocolate covered caramel into the centre of the wonton. Lift up two opposite corners and press together at the top. Take the remaining two corners and do the same. Seal all corners and openings.
- Cover with damp towel and repeat with remaining wontons and caramel.
- While you are forming the wontons heat 2 inches of oil, over medium heat, to 350ºF (180ºC ). If you do not have a thermometer, an easy way to tell when the oil is ready is to place the handle of a wooden spoon into the hot oil, if bubbles form around it, it is ready.
- Fry the wontons, a few at a time, until golden. About 1 min. Remove with a slotted spoon onto paper towel, to drain.
- Once all of the wontons are fried. Drizzle with remaining chocolate and sprinkle with chopped peanuts.
Makes: 24 wontons
* Do not refrigerate.
adapted from here
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. corn syrup
- 2 Tbsp. butter, room temp.
- 3/4 cup lightly salted peanuts
- Heat cream to boiling. Keep hot.
- Place sugar in a non-stick skillet warmed over medium heat. Do not stir.
- Once sugar is melted stir in the corn syrup and let bubble until a deep caramel color is reached.
- Stir in the butter carefully as caramel will bubble furiously.
- Once butter is incorporated add cream, being careful of spatters once again.
- Lower the temperature and let simmer for 2 min.
- Remove from heat and stir in peanuts.
- Let cool a bit before dropping by teaspoons (making 24) onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Allow to cool fully.
- Once cool, roll into balls.