Well folks my kitchen is almost *almost* done. My hubby has been working hard to get everything done and has done an amazing job. It”s been less then two weeks and everything is nearly complete. There are only a couple of finishing touches that I want complete before I share the photos with you, so you”ll have to hold on to your shorts for a little while longer. Thankfully the kitchen is in working order and I was able to whip up some of these Caramel Cappuccino Walnut Bars in my brand new oven. Yay!
I haven”t had an oatmeal bar this good in a really long time. They”re intoxicating. I”m not a coffee drinker but I have always loved flavoured cappuccino”s, caramel being one of my favourites. The fact that these are fudgey like a brownie and taste of a Caramel Cappuccino (without the searing heat) definitely makes these a decadent snack. I think it would be amazing with a scoop of ice cream or even as an ice cream sandwich. And, it would pack perfectly for a Fathers Day picnic or barbecue.
What are some of your favourite oat bar recipes?
Caramel Cappuccino Walnut Bars
adapted from Better Home & Gardens
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 2 1/3 cups flour
- 1.5 cups chopped walnuts, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3/4 cup caramel topping
- Mix together oats, flour, 1 cup walnuts, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Cream together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs, instant coffee and vanilla until well blended.
- Stir in oat mixture until all is evenly moistened (it will be quite sticky).
- Remove 2 cup of the batter and set aside. Scrape the remaining batter into a greased 15×10 inch pan. Smooth and spread with a rubber spatula until level.
- Pour caramel topping over all and dollop remaining 2 cups of batter over top, flattening a bit as you go. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup walnuts.
- Bake at 350ºF for 20-25 minutes until edges are set and when a toothpick inserted in the centre produces fudgey crumbs.
Makes: 32 bars