Fathers Day is coming up, which means grills everywhere will be firing up on Sunday. I’ve invited my dad over and will most likely be doing exactly that. But the thing is, it’s been quite rainy here and I’m not so sure I want to stand out in the rain to barbecue, so I might need a back up plan just in case.
I think these sandwiches are a great recipe to have in your pocket for the dad in your life. You can put the mixture in the slow cooker earlier in the day and let it cook away while you do man things, like go to pick and pulls and stare at car parts. Thankfully, my dad is gracious enough to do those things on his own. To each his own, right? :)
These sandwiches are a tad spicy but definitely won’t knock your socks off. My son doesn’t like spicy foods and he was happily asking for seconds. I also love how the slaw adds a cooling factor to ward off the spiciness.
This makes a huge batch so it’s a perfect make for family get-togethers. And, you don’t have to limit the toppings to just the apple-celery slaw. Add some pickles, cheese, lettuce or really anything that suites your fancy.
I do believe this could also be made on the stove top, if you don’t have a slow-cooker. Throw everything into a large pot, bring it up to a simmer, cover and cook on low until the mixture is cooked through and the chicken shreds easily with a fork.
Happy Fathers Day to all you awesome Dad’s out there!
- 2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1½-inch chunks
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- ¼ cup water
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- ¼ cup hot-pepper sauce
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- To serve: burger buns, apple-celery slaw, pickles, cheese, lettuce
- 1 apple, sliced thinly into matchsticks
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Add a bit of oil to a large non-stick skillet set over medium-high heat. Add half the chicken, season with salt and pepper, and cook just until browned on the outside. Remove chicken to the slow-cooker. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Add onion, garlic and bell pepper to the skillet, season with salt and pepper. Cook, over medium, until onions have softened. Add water and cook, scraping up any brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan, until water is mostly evaporated. Transfer to the slow-cooker. Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours (or low for longer), or until chicken is tender and shreds easily with a fork. Shred the chicken in the slow-cooker, season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve on toasted buns with desired toppings.
- Mix together ingredients until evenly coated. Serve immediately or refrigerate until serving.