Thanks so much to all of you who offered your condolences over the loss of my grandma through comments, emails and messages. I’m truly thankful for your words of comfort and encouragement.
I wanted to share something special today in honour of my grandma. One of her favourite hobbies was baking pies of all kinds, so I decided to make and share one of her favourites – Blueberry Pie. It happens to be the perfect time of year to enjoy blueberry pie since blueberries are at their prime in both price and flavour.
This pie is classic. A crisp, flaky crust housing a sunshine-y filling of blueberries with a hint of lemon. Make this for someone you love and savour the memories while you enjoy it together. xo
- pie dough for a two crust pie*
- 4 cups blueberries
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- egg wash (1 egg white + 1 teaspoon water, whisked together)
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- Roll one half of the pie dough into a 12 inch circle to fit into a 9 inch pie plate. Transfer to the pie plate and refrigerate while making filling.
- To make filling: mix together blueberries and lemon juice. In a separate bowl combine sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest, salt and cinnamon. Toss together gently with blueberries. Pour immediately into pie shell. refrigerate while rolling out top crust.
- Roll remaining pie dough to fit the top of the pie. Place on top, fold edges under bottom crust and crimp the edges to seal. Using a paring knife or scissors, slice cuts in the top for steam to escape while baking. Refrigerate 10 minutes, or until pie dough has firmed up.
- Brush prepared pie with a bit of egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 400ºF for 10 minutes, lower heat to 375ºF and bake an additional 40-50 minutes or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly. Let cool completely, to set (1-2 hours), before serving.
- * I used a new pie crust recipe but wasn’t completely happy with it. If you’re needing a recipe, [url href=”http://www.kraftcanada.com/recipes/the-perfect-apple-pie-88134″]this[/url] has been my go-to pie crust for years, except I make it with butter instead of shortening.
Adapted from Williams Sonoma.