Our family is in the midst of kitchen renovations. We started tearing out the kitchen cupboards last weekend and are currently in the process of laying the flooring so we can get all the cupboards and appliances in over this coming weekend.
Right now, I’m doing food prep on the dining room table, dishes in the bathroom sink and haven’t done any laundry in almost a week (laundry hookups are in the kitchen). I’m more then ecstatic to get my new kitchen but I really don’t mind living in limbo. It makes it feel much more like home because we LOVE renovating!
This Barbecue Bean Salad is so easy to make and perfect to go along with whatever you have on the grill for supper. It can be made ahead but I highly advise tossing the tortilla chips in at the last minute or they’ll get soggy.
Thankfully my fridge and stove are so small that we can drag them in and out of the kitchen as needed, so I cooked up the dressing and then started the oven to slow-cook some beef dip to serve up beside. Such a perfect dinner at the (near) end of a hard working day.
P.S. To satisfy your curiosity (because I know I would be) I’ll be posting before and after pictures once the kitchen is complete.
Barbecue Bean Salad
adapted from Taste of Home
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Heat all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat until boiling. Lower heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes to meld flavours. Allow to cool slightly before using.
- 2 cans beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small can corn (about 1/2 cup), drained
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips
- Stir together all ingredients except chips. Add dressing and toss to coat. Stir in chips just before serving.
Makes: 7 servings
* I used one can of kidney beans and one can chickpeas.