We have been freezing our little behinds off over here in the land of Norge. The sun is still refusing to show it”s shining face and the cutting wind is making our walks to the grocery store not quite as enjoyable as they once were. I must be burning a lot more calories though because not only am I practically running everywhere I go, but my body is working hard at not becoming a solid mass. I know that Max is feeling it too because after his morning porridge he runs around the house teeth chattering, looking like he is desperately trying to warm up. That is when Mommy brings out the sweaters and the socks and he gets all bundled up to play inside. (We live in an apartment building and do not have control over our thermostat, for those of you who are wondering why we don”t just turn up the heat.) The sole control we have of warming ourselves up is to either bundle up or get something baking in the oven. Either is fine with me because I like being snuggly warm and eating freshly baked goods. Which brings us to this wonderful Banana Rum Chocolate Chip Pound Cake. The perfect thing to warm you up on a cold day.
Like many of you, one of the first food blogs that I ever read was by the talented and witty Helen of Tartelette. I was so enthrawled and inspired by her recipes that I spend days browsing through her archives to see what other goodies I had been missing out on. That is where I found this gem. It has since become my go to recipe when the bananas are starting to turn black, replacing my ever reliable Sour Cream Banana Bread.
There are so many ingredients in here that get my heart pumping with excitement. The cream cheese, sour cream, and bananas keep it ever so moist. The tropical flavours of rum and coconut keep it interesting. And the ooey gooey chocolate chips keep it comforting. Seriously, take a look at those ingredients and tell me that you do not want to run into the kitchen and make this immediately. Get to it!
Banana Rum Chocolate Chip Pound Cake
adapted from Tartelette
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup finely shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup rum
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Combine sour cream and cream cheese. Set aside.
- Cream together butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating until incorporated.
- Add 1/3 of the flour and mix until well combined. Add 1/3 cream cheese mixture and mix well. Continue alternating until all flour and cream cheese is incorporated.
- Fold in bananas, chocolate chips, coconut and rum.
- Pour into 2- 9×5 lightly oiled loaf pans. Bake at 350ºF (180ºC) for 30-40 min. or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool 10 min. in pan before removing to wire wracks to cool completely.
* Alternatively you can bake this in a 10 inch tube pan, but keep in mind that the cooking time will increase.
* If you do not wish to use real rum then by all means substitute it with a teaspoon or two of rum extract. But, PLEASE don”t leave it out because it would just not be the same without it. Also make sure to add 1/4 cup of another liquid to make up for the missing rum.