On Father’s Day we made a ton of sweets. All of James’ favourites to show him how thankful we are for what a good Daddy he is. With all of that sweetness going down we really needed a healthy meal in the middle of the day to offset things a bit. So, I dreamt up this salad in preparation and it ended up being James’ new favourite salad – score! But with things like bacon and cheesy bagel croutons how could it not?
It may feel a bit like you’re making breakfast at first, but I promise once it’s done it won’t taste like breakfast at all. It starts with getting some eggs boiling and some bacon crisping on the stove. Once the bacon is crisp you remove it from the pan and add the chopped bagels and toss them in the bacon fat – that right there is reason enough to make this salad. In the meantime, you chop up some tomatoes, tear up some lettuce, and whisk up your vinaigrette. Once the bagels are golden brown and smelling like heaven you’re ready to assemble your salad!
The garlicky parmesan vinaigrette is the perfect compliment. It adds just enough flavour to amp up the salad while still letting the minimal ingredients shine.
Have you ever wondered how to make the perfect hard boiled egg? Here’s my method:
- Place eggs in a saucepan and cover the tops with two inches of water. Bring to a boil over medium heat and let boil hard for one minute.
- Remove from heat, cover, and let sit for 11 minutes. Transfer eggs to an ice bath or run under cold water to halt the cooking process.
- Allow to cool before peeling. Peel and enjoy!
This method turns out perfect hard boiled eggs for me every time!
- 4 strips bacon
- 1 head green leaf lettuce, torn into bite size pieces
- 4 hard boiled eggs, sliced or chopped
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 cheese bagel, cut into desired sized chunks
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced (or ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder)
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook bacon in a skillet over medium-low heat until crisp. Meanwhile arrange lettuce in one large, or two medium, salad bowls (or plates). Top with eggs and cherry tomatoes. Once bacon is crisp remove to paper towels to drain. Pour off some of the bacon fat leaving 1-2 tablespoons in the pan. Add the the bagel chunks to the hot pan, toss to coat with bacon fat. Cook, without stirring, until crisp on the bottom. Flip pieces over and cook until crisp. Toss again and stir until evenly cooked and crisp. Crumble bacon and sprinkle on salad. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Dress as desired with vinaigrette, tossing to coat. Add croutons just before serving.
- Stir together cheese, mustard, vinegar, and garlic. Whisk in oil a bit at a time, whisking well with each addition. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Parmesan Vinaigrette adapted from Food Network.